Furnace (Wood or Coal) FAQs
1. What should my limit control be set on?
2. Why do I have smoke spillage when I refuel my stove or furnace?
3. What is creosote? How is it produced? How can I prevent it?
4. How can I prevent grate burn out and warpage of cast iron parts?
5. Is it necessary to hook up my solid fuel furnace to a system of ductwork?
6. Which coal is best to burn?
7. How do I get my Anthracite to burn?
8. How do I get my Bituminous coal to burn?
9. Why should I make provision for a cold-air return?
10. What is draft? What is combustion air?
11. My furnace's forced draft blower is not coming on. What could my problem be?
12. I understand that you manufacture a water heating coil for most furnaces. If I purchase a coil do I need a hot water tank to store the hot water?
13. I have a 1300, it calls for logs up to a 24 inch long, but the grate is only 13 inches, do I have the wrong grate?
14. How do I install a thermostat inside my house for my furnace?
15. When our furnace was installed, we added the forced draft kit. The fan for the forced draft never shuts off. Do we need to replace something or could there be a problem with the wiring?
16. When my furnace needs heat, the distribution blower cycles on and off rapidly until the furnace gets hotter. When the thermostat no longer calls for heat, it starts cooling down and the distribution blower starts cycling on and off rapidly until the furnace cools enough for the blower to go off completely.